MTN Nigeria has reiterated its commitment to help its partners and customers stay connected and support efforts to contain the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic through its Y’ello Hope Package.
The company said this on Friday while providing an update on the utilisation so far of its network initiatives to provide its customers and partners with connectivity during the COVID-19 pandemic.
A statement signed by the Company Secretary, Uto Ukpanah, said that “in addition to MTN’s direct contributions to support the fight against COVID-19, including support to CACOVID (N1 billion), Federal and State Governments (communications support) and the NCDC (Devices, airtime, SMS channel and data) MTN has provided our customers with a range of free services to help make communication easier.
“As at May 15th 2020, our network has provided: More than 2 Billion free SMS sent by over 40 million subscribers; About 3,000 Terrabytes of free data utilised to access zero-rated health websites, and access to Ayoba, our partner messaging app; Over 1.7 Million free money transfers by about 100,000 people using the MoMo Agent Network (offer ended May 1st).”
Commenting on the update, CEO MTN Nigeria, Ferdi Moolman said: “Since we began providing 300 free SMS’s per month to our subscribers more than 2 billion SMS’s have been sent by more than 44 million subscribers demonstrating the universal appeal and accessibility of SMS as a communications service. We are proud to have been able to reach so many people and are committed to continuing to provide this service. As we continue to navigate this pandemic, we are focusing our efforts on trying to ensure no one is left behind.”
It would be recalled that MTN Nigeria unveiled its Y’ello Hope Package and announced over N2 billion worth of support to various government and health agencies.
The Cost of Intervention according to the company for the first phase included:
- Over N500 million worth of airtime, data and analytics, through the Nigerian Governors’ Forum (NGF) in support to State governments to facilitate communications during travel restrictions.
- Connecting medical personnel: Over N1.4 billion worth of airtime, data and devices for connectivity support to frontline health agencies including NCDC.
- Connecting customers with essential health information: Free data access to be used to access websites with validated information on COVID.
- Up to 300 free SMS per month for all our subscribers, ensuring they can communicate with loved ones;
- MTN has partnered with Ayoba, a messaging OTT provider, to grant free daily data access to its subscribers.
- Free money transfers using the Momo Agent Network from Y’ello Digital Financial Services.